For any media added to the Macaulay Library through the eBird Media Upload Tool, the contributor maintains their copyright and adheres to the following media licensing agreement.
The information on this webpage pertains only to ML website uses (i.e embedding and linking media etc.).
This website (herein the “Website”) and all materials displayed or accessible through it, including but not limited to, text, photographs, images, illustrations, audio and video, computer software and code (herein called the “Content”) are protected by copyright and are owned by Cornell University, which includes the Macaulay Library (ML) and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, its licensors or the party credited as the content provider.
- View Content online.
- Print Website pages for non-commercial, personal, educational, and research uses provided that ML is properly cited as the source.
- Retain copies of specimen record data in digital form for non-commercial, personal, educational and research purposes provided that ML is properly cited as the source.
- Link to and share Website pages from third-party websites for non-commercial, personal, educational and research purposes only provided that ML is properly cited as the source.
- Share Content through our social share and embed features that maintains copyright for non-commercial, personal, educational and research purposes provided that ML is properly cited as the source.
Any other uses (including but not limited to commercial, promotional, or administrative uses), reproduction, alteration, modification, public performance or display, uploading or posting onto the internet, transmission, redistribution or any other exploitation of the Website or the Content, whether in whole or in part, are prohibited without prior written permission.
Specimen Database Content
Content from the specimen database accessible through the Website must not be regarded as definitive or published. Distributional, ecological, taxonomic and other such data should be verified in consultation with ML curatorial staff. Sensitive data (e.g. locality data for threatened or endangered species) and some data records may be restricted from public access through the Website. Access to these data records may be requested in writing from appropriate curatorial staff.
Links to the Website
You may create links to this website for non-commercial (personal, educational and research) purposes only. If you wish to solicit a business relationship with the ML or the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, you need explicit written permission. While ML encourages links to the Website, it reserves the right to prohibit or refuse to accept any link to the Website at any time. You agree to remove any link you may have to the Website upon the request of ML.
Links From the Website
This website contains links to third-party sites (Third-Party Websites). ML provides these links only as a service and convenience to our visitors. We take no responsibility for the content at Third-Party Websites including, without limitation, any representation or warranty regarding the legality, accuracy, reliability, completeness, timeliness, or suitability of any content on any Third-Party Website. The link to them in no way implies an endorsement or recommendation of the products, services or information found there. ML reserves the right to regularly review and re-evaluate any and all links originating from within the Website and reserves the right to terminate any link to Third-Party Websites without prior notification.
Sharing of the Content (embedding)
By using the embed code to display audio and video Content from the Website the Embeddable Content on Third-Party Websites, you agree to be bound by the following terms:
- All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Embeddable Content, and any code made available by ML to embed the Embeddable Content and the embeddable player shall remain the property of ML and/or its licensors.
- The Embeddable Content is subject to same terms and conditions described in the “Links to the Website” section above.
- The Embeddable Content is for personal use only and cannot be used in any commercial way. You may not charge visitors any fee for accessing the Embeddable Content, use the Embeddable Content as means to secure advertising, or commercialize the Embeddable Content or embeddable player in any other way.
- You must properly attribute and create a link back to the ML website on the pages of the Third-Party Websites where the Embeddable Content is displayed.
- You may not directly or indirectly suggest any endorsement or approval by ML of the Third-Party Sites displaying the Embeddable Content or any non-ML entity, product or content or any views expressed within Third-Party Sites without the ML’s prior written approval.
- You may not use the Embeddable Content in any way that could bring the ML into disrepute or otherwise cause any loss or damage to the ML.
- You acknowledge that ML has sole editorial control over the Embeddable Content at all times and it may change or restrict, suspend or terminate any or all Embeddable Content or your access to the Embeddable Content at any time at its sole discretion without liability.
- You acknowledge that the Embeddable Content is made available by ML on an “as is” and “as available” basis and ML gives no warranty of any kind in relation to the Embeddable Content, embed code or the embeddable player.
Disclaimer of warranties
The Website and all Content are provided “as is” for informational purposes only. By accessing and using the Website you acknowledge and agree that use of the Website and Content is entirely at your own risk. Where use of the Content is critical to scientific investigation, scholarly publication, or policy decisions, you are responsible for verifying the Content against primary data sources. Although ML applies the highest standards to Website performance, security, and data quality, ML makes no representations or warranties regarding the Website and Content, including, without limitation, no representation or warranty that:
- the Website and/or content will be accurate, complete, reliable, suitable or timely;
- any the Content, software, product or service made available through the Website will be of suitable for any particular purpose;
- the operation of the Website will be uninterrupted or error free;
- defects or errors in the Website will be corrected;
- the Website will be free from viruses or harmful components; and that
- communications to or from the Website will be secure or not intercepted.
Indemnification: You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Cornell University; its officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and third party providers to the Website from and against all losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from any violation of these Terms. Cornell University reserves the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will fully cooperate with Cornell University in asserting and available defenses.